Thursday, February 10, 2011

My Education in France

Well, I've been here over a month, and I had my first big test and project due this week, so I think it is fair to give an assessment of the French educational system.

First, the negatives.  We have every class in the same room, with a random schedule of what course we have each day.  We show up at 9 am, listen to a lecture till 12:15 (with a break or two), have lunch till 1:30, then have more lecture till 4:45.  Lecture in France though is really a lecture.  The professor talks continuously.  No interaction, no exercises.  Every day of the week.  Sounds a little... dry, right?  Well, then you add in the fact that, so far, 70-80% of these lectures have been in English that falls somewhere in the spectrum between heavily-accented and broken.  Oh, and let's just say French professors are not known for their thrilling oratory.  Dry is an accurate word.  Monotone is another.  We have a final and/or big project in each class, but don't really have much homework at all.  Very different from America.

Despite all this, the French students in my class assure me that the IFP is a very prestigious school, and it is an honor for them to be here.  I admit that I had to get past some prejudices to accept this.  For one, it is somewhat natural for Americans to associate poor English syntax and vocabulary with a lack of intelligence.  I have to keep reminding myself that the students with poor English are speaking English as their second (or maybe fourth) language, and doing it in technical classes.  I have yet to even learn all the verb tenses in my French language class.  A second issue is that class vocal contributions really are poor.  Part is because the professors don't facilitate it, part is because many of the non-Anglo students are cautious in contributing because of language fears, and part is because with 18 nationalities in the room, people worry (a little too much) about offending someone with opinionated comments.  Finally, I really do get frustrated about not being able to ask deeper questions of professors.  I try to get more details, but many times they don't understand what I'm asking.  They are experts in their subject, but can only express the general ideas in English, and that can be frustrating.

There are positives though.  If you thought to yourself, 'No homework with an hour and fifteen minute lunch break plus coffee breaks sounds pretty nice to me,'...you have a point.  When we do have a good professor and/or class discussion, the day flows very well.  And now that I've moved beyond my prejudices, I've realized that many of my fellow students are very very bright.  Furthermore, the promise of encountering international perspectives and cultures has not disappointed.  Having so many nationalities (and career backgrounds) represented is every bit as interesting as it sounds.

I should also add that I am not too concerned about grades here.  I feel like I am learning what I came here to learn, and the oddities of the teaching style almost make it seem like I'm not getting evaluated at all.

It just really is a puzzle to me why France requires this style of teaching, with long lectures, no interaction, and few practice exercises/homework.  The French students say that it is like this on every level, and they all hate it.  I guess what I'm saying is that Americans should be grateful for professors that feel obligated to make classes engaging and thought-provoking, and maybe even appreciate homework a little bit.

Feel free to remind me of that comment when I'm stressed out next October.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Thomas (sorry, I'm just not used to 'Tom' yet, but I'll get there - you've been 'Thomas' since I met you back in the early '90s),

    Janet just sent me the link to you guys's blog (finally)and I love it. Bet the French don't have a word, expression, or tense for 'you guy's.'

    When I was a Computer Engineering major, I had several different TA's who were from the orient, and The Queen's English was definitely not their first language, so they were pretty tough to follow. I think the toughest was our TA in Physics at Iowa State who I think was from Vietnam.

    But to experience it almost in reverse by being IN the alternative culture must be absolutely fascinating.

    We're so happy for you both that you are having this wonderful experience together, and we wish it were possible to bring Emily over for a long visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments! We'd love to see you guys, but I know it's probably pretty impossible right now, especially for all three of you.

    ReplyDelete