Saturday, February 12, 2011

Education addendum

Another thought I had this morning:
Saying a class was 'difficult' at Mines meant 'hours-spent-staring-at-a-complex-derivative-trying-to-make-sense-of-it' difficult.  The same could even be said about liberal arts classes at W&L, except we were staring at literature.

I haven't had that here.  Even in Reservoir Engineering, the class has been general enough that it's not hard for a science person to comprehend the ideas.  The difficulty comes in trying to understand what others are telling you, trying to get your point across so that others really understand it, and trying to get very different people to work together effectively.  I imagine this is what management courses are all about (actually I have one or two management-type classes here) but the cool thing is we are actually doing it in technical classes.

It's probably not the intended goal of the program, but it's definitely a very useful skill.  Even at TDA, I spent more time worrying about getting people to help me on projects, or phrasing proposals for the intended audience, than I did puzzling over technical issues.

Just trying to figure out how to make lemonade here.

No comments:

Post a Comment