Thursday, April 7, 2011

Focus in/on month 3

The weather outside is somewhere between perfect and mind-blowingly beautiful as I write this.  I am off from class today, and then all that stands between me and Spring Break is an accounting quiz and the presentation of an accounting project, both due tomorrow.

March was a good month here in Paris.  The weather turned nice, we had family visit, classes were moderately interesting, and Margaret and I had some great times.  But as I think back today (and this may have something to do with trying to work on accounting on a beautiful day), the concept that stands out over the past month is focus.

I've devoted a lot of energy to graduate school- working hard on all of the projects, trying to be the best in every activity, attending every class, being truly focused in every class.  It's not that I've done anything truly sacrificial, or have lost any blood (or much sweat... energy economics doesn't really involve sweating).  But I feel like I've expended a lot of energy on being focused.

And basically I've been doing this for 7 months straight, since Christmas break was completely consumed with Torrey's surgery, selling the car, moving out of the house, and moving to France.  By no means is this torture, but I started to feel pretty burned out in March.  I wanted to have time to go for a run/play frisbee when it's nice out, or linger longer over dinner instead of worrying about the reading I need to do, or have the energy to plan times with friends.

So I'm excited for vacation.  When I worked a relatively stress-free job, I occasionally wondered why we put such a high value on vacation in modern culture.  At times like these, though, the simple act of release inherent to a vacation explains everything.  We're going to Rome and Barcelona, and it will hopefully be amazing.  And completely unfocused.

At a rugby game with Katie and Adam

1 comment:

  1. Teej, scale of 1 to 10, how good was the beer you have in your hand?? Miss you LOTS!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete