Friday, March 18, 2011

Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons

In lecture today the professor used a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon to make a point.  It's one where Calvin doesn't want to learn math, and his dad is trying to teach him.  Calvin says he'll never need math, but has dad challenges him to name a job that doesn't need addition/subtraction.  Our professor was making a joke about geologists, and thus changed it to have Calvin claim he wanted to be a geologist.

I think I was supposed to be proud of learning math enough to be an engineer/economist/whatever, but really it made me proud of something else:

Without even thinking about it, I knew what Calvin actually claimed he wanted to be in that cartoon (I'm at least 95% sure it was 'a caveman').  So, I guess the message is, thanks to mom and dad for giving me money to buy every single one of the Calvin and Hobbes books at the Scholastic book fairs that came to middle school every year, and for not nagging me when I read every one of those books dozens of times.

(If anyone wants to fact check me on the answer being caveman, feel free!)

(p.s. the title of this post is the title of my favorite Calvin and Hobbes book)

3 comments:

  1. fact has been checked

    http://hunter-gatherer.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/500/Calvin%20and%20Hobbes%20(caveman).jpg

    i live a sad, sad life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, awesome. Thanks. I'm glad law school is teaching you the art of deep literature research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made my day! I am so touched that my capitulation in the negotiations over elementary school Scholastic book orders (ably done by you) turned out to be such a good thing!

    ReplyDelete